Documentation | RSMonials Joomla Extension

July 19, 2010

Doc

rsmonials

RSMonials is a Joomla Component that works natively in Joomla environment. This is a very simple and user friendly testimonial component. Using this component you can easily able to accept comments / feedback / review / testimonials from your clients or visitors. This is a free component. The features included:

Front End:

• Display all active testimonials / comments / feedback / review.
  • Visitor can submit a feedback.
  • If you approve the feedback from back-end it will start to display.
  • Secured form by Captcha. (Re-Captcha Enabled).

Back End:

• Add Testimonials.
  • Edit Testimonials.
  • Delete Testimonials.
  • Publish/Unpublish Testimonials.
  • Manage Front-end display using CSS.
  • Manage Language Specific Content.
  • Easily configure the basic features of the component.

How To Use the Component (Steps):

1. Download and Install this Component. If you are Upgrading this Component please read the next point.
  2. In case of Joomla 2.5 or higher, to upgrade just install the new version over the old one. Do not worry, this process will not delete any “Testimonial” that you have already in your website. But you may need to re-configure your settings once again. After you install the new one please access this component and configure the “Settings”, “Display Style” and “Language” tab as per your needs. That’s all.
  3. Now go to “Components” => “RSMonials!”
  4. Access “Testimonials” tab to Add/Edit/Delete/Publish/Unpublish/Move to Spam your testimonials.
  5. Access “Settings” tab to set some basic settings. You can set the following settings:
    1. Name of Administrator
    2. Email Address of Administrator
    3. Show/Hide the Description.
    4. Who can submit testimonials, Guest or Registered Users only.
    5. “Name” field format, Single name field or ‘First Name’ & ‘Last Name’.
    6. Show/Hide “About You” field.
    7. Show/Hide “Your Location” field.
    8. Show/Hide “Your Website” field.
    9. Display ‘Website’ as a hyperlink or plain text.
    10. Show/Hide “Image Upload and Display” field.
    11. Maximum Image Width, Height & Size.
    12. Enable/Disable Captcha Verification.
    13. Enable/Disable ReCaptcha Library.
    14. On/Off Automatic approval of newly submitted testimonials.
    15. Enable/Disable Pagination.
    16. Set how many testimonial will display in a page.
    17. Manage alignment of the pagination text.
    18. On/Off “Administrator Email Alert” for newly submitted testimonials.
    19. Block testimonial submission by IP address (Help to prevent Spam).
  6. Access “Display Style” tab to set some basic display style settings. You can set the following settings:
    1. Border Style of Testimonial Display Block.
    2. Background Color of Testimonial Display Block.
    3. More style of Testimonial display block.
    4. Style of Quotation Images.
    5. Default image for testimonials in no image is found.
    6. Image Position.
    7. Image Width.
    8. Show/Hide Date.
  7. Add one Menu Item to display RSMonials component in front-end:
    1. Go to “Menus” => “{YOUR-MENU-NAME}”
    2. Select “New” button from top-right of the page.
    3. Now select “Menu Item Type” as “RSMonials”.
    4. Here you can get another option called “What to Show?”. From this option you can choose the menu item will display “Only the Testimonials” or “Only the Testimonial Submission Form” or BOTH.
    5. Then add “Title” of the menu and then Save & Publish the Menu Item.
  8. If your website is MULTILINGUAL OR if your website is not in ENGLISH OR if you want to modify the text that is displaying in the front end then please do the following steps:
    1. Go to “Components” => “RSMonials” => “Language File”.
    2. Then select the proper language file from the list and “Edit”. That’s all.
    3. If you think you made some mistake and the component is not working properly for that mistake, then just click the “Restore Default” button of the language file. It will again restore the default settings in the language file. Then again you can edit that as per your requirement.
  9. If you notice that the image uploading is not working in your website, that should be the permission issue. To solve this issue just login to your server using FTP account and then change the permission (CHMOD) of “/images/com_rsmonials/” folder to “777” or “755”. Hopefully this will solve the issue.
  10. That’s All. Now your testimonials will display in the front end. Site visitors now also able to submit their testimonials.

Now 2 modules are also available to use with our RSMonials component:

1. RS-Monials Module: Using this module you can able to display testimonials randomly or serially.
  2. RS-MonialScroller Module: Using this module you can able to display all of your testimonials in a module position with auto scroller.

Support: If you have any question/suggestion or if you wish to report any error please submit a support request: SUPPORT FORM LINK (Please do not forget to mention the extension name and the version)

, , , , , ,

About Souvik Banerjee

Web Developer and SEO Specialist with 10+ years of experience in open source web development. He is also the moderator of this blog (www.rswebsols.com)

View all posts by Souvik Banerjee

Related Posts

248 Responses to “Documentation | RSMonials Joomla Extension”

1. Janmeird Digon Says:

Hi! First off, I would like to congratulate you for a really great product! RSMonials surely covers almost everything I need for a testimonial! Congratulations to the developer. I only have one issue though. As I mentioned earlier, RSMonials covers ‘almost’ everything I need. I think what is missing is for the testimonial to be ‘responsive’, that is, to be perfectly viewable on smartphones and iDevices. I tested the RSMonials I installed on http://mattkersley.com/responsive/ and found that the component overlaps the RSMonials module. The component also is not able to display the testimonial message if viewed in a smartphone or an iphone. I hope RSMonials developers would do something about this since the future of the web is leaning towards responsive websites and pretty soon, it may become the ‘web standard’. To see what I mean please try viewing http://www.rswebsols.com/demo/rsmonials at the field provided at http://mattkersley.com/responsive/ or any responsive website testing URLs and you will surely see what I mean. I really do hope you can do something about this. Thank you very much for reading through my post. :)

Regards,

Janmeir

2. Lionel Says:

I am new to joomla.
    I have to upgrade from 1.5.2 to 1.5.3, can anyone please tell me how? I do not want to mess up the customers website!

• Souvik Says:

Yes, you need to just uninstall the old one and install the new one. You will not loose any testimonials. But the component settings will lost. You need to make the changes in the settings manually again.

3. Wahid Says:

How can I hide the submission form but still show the link that says “Submit A Testimonial”?

• Souvik Says:

This “Submit A Testimonial” link will only work when the submission form display in the page. Otherwise this link do not have any other functionality.

4. Webber Says:

Hi,

How can I skip the text ‘Powered by RS Web Solutions’ on the footer?

Thanks

5. rafal Says:

How to force thhis plugin to display the newest testimonials at the bottom of the page instead of top of the page? Is there any sorting possibility?

6. Ronald Says:

Hello,

I am using RSmonials 1.5.2 on my joomla 1.5 website and I would like to update it to version 1.5.3. Can I do this without losing alle data from the guestbook?
    Thanks in advance.

Ronald

• Souvik Says:

Yes, you need to just uninstall the old one and install the new one. You will not loose any testimonials. But the component setting will lost. You need to make the changes in the settings manually again.

7. chetan Says:

how do i display 3 testimonials together, placed one after the other in the module 1 ?

• Souvik Says:

Better way is to use “RSMonials Scroller” module. Otherwise you can try to place 3 “RSMonials Module” one after another.

8. chetan Says:

great extention and easily configurable…

9. Lisa Says:

How can we change the description that is at the top of the testimonials page?
    I found the place to disable it from showing…….but I’d just like to change the wording a bit.
    Thanks.

• Souvik Says:

Just go to “Joomla Admin” => “Components” => “RSMonials” => “Language File”. Then edit the respective language file as per your needs.

10. Iraklis Says:

Good day,

here is my question. Can this extension publish, for example, the 5 most recent testimonials in the homepage too or do I need an extra module to do that?

Kind regards
    Iraklis

11. João Paulo Lopes Says:

Hi,
    I have just installed RS-Monial Component and RS-Monial module on my website (version 2.0 – joomla 2.5) and I can’t find the option Display “Testimonial Submission Form” in front end or not.”
    Help me please,
    Thanks in advance,
    João Paulo Lopes
    Portugal

• Souvik Says:

There is a little update in the new version. Now this option you can get in time of adding the menu item. Just add your menu item and you can see one parameter for this.

• João Paulo Lopes Says:

Thanks, :)
        One more question,
        If I want use portuguese language, I need to translate?
        Thanks again
        João Paulo Lopes

12. paco Says:

Hello Souvik.

If i install this component on my joomla 1.7 /2.5 can it be made compatible? Is there an option which can it make to work?

Hoping to hear from you.
    Regards,
    Paco

• Souvik Says:

Unfortunately this version is currently only for Joomla 1.5. Version that will work for Joomla 2.5 is coming soon.

13. Gershon Says:

Hello,

I searching a lot extension exactly like this, and
    I like to know if you have the rsmonials extension for joomla 2.5.x OR
    you Update the extension for 2.5.x.

p.s – please update the extension….

14. Victor DeCastro Says:

Love the Testimonials Module. The only thing is that it doesn’t scroll horizontally. Would be possible in the future to add this capability?

Great solution.

Thanks a lot.

Victor DeCastro

15. Sanjeev Jain Says:

Hi,

I have just installed RS-Monial Component and RS-MonialScroller module on my website. Both of these are great extensions and I was up and running in less than five minutes. However, I am facing one issue with RS-MonialScroller module. It displays “undefined” below the testimonial I have received from my clients. Please guide me to solve this issue.

Thanks,
    Sanjeev Jain

• Souvik Says:

Hi Sanjeev,

As the scroller module is designed to display more than one testimonials, just add more than one testimonials and the module will work perfectly.

Thanks,
      Souvik

16. Victor Says:

I like a support for RSMONIALS when my users open my website using IE.

Thank you.

17. mike. Says:

Hi,

i have just uninstalled rsmonials 1.5.2 and installed 1.5.3 and the testimonials main page is no longer displaying with the sites default theme? I have used the styles css and copied the code to the template.css file but this has made no difference? any advice please?

Thanks

• Souvik Says:

Just view your website. It seems the testimonials page is working properly. Did you already solved it?

Thanks,
      Souvik

18. Adam Says:

I’m trying to change the background color and font style in the testimonials. I have made the obvious changes in the “component” section… but nothing shows up on the front page. Any ideas?

19. peter Says:

Hey
    Am kinda having some issues with the component and module
    1.Show/Hide “About You” field.
    2.Show/Hide “Your Location” field
    the information shown at the bottom of the comment has a background of white and my selected font colour for the whole site is white so I cant see the bottom information. Pls could you advice on how to solve this

20. Leandro Says:

I like to know if you have the rsmonials extension for joomla 1.6.3

Leandro

• Mike Says:

Hey!

is it possible to post both french and english testimonials, and have the french ones appear on the french testimonials menu page and the english ones to appear on the english testimonials page?

Thanks alot