Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of attracting organic traffic to your website through ranking on the search engine results page (SERP). This means you don’t pay for the traffic; instead, you use the right SEO strategy, such as having the right keywords, to appear on search queries. When you get your SEO strategies right and get more visitors, you can increase your conversion and earn more revenue.
Unfortunately, getting your SEO right isn’t a walk in the park. Most businesses try to rank but fail, especially since many companies sell similar products and services. Therefore, you need to develop a result-oriented strategy that’ll work in the long term. However, the strategy should be agile so you can easily drop what’s not working and focus on those that work to your advantage.
Why do you need an SEO strategy?
One thing you can be sure about SEO is that it won’t work in a day. This is because it’ll take some time and applying the right strategies to achieve the results you want. That being said, you need to create an SEO strategy. Here are more reasons why you need one:
Continual efforts bring results:
The top spot and the first pages of search engines are always a place every other business wants to occupy. So, being there today doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be there the next month. You need to make sure you don’t lose your space by putting continual efforts into your SEO. Failure to make the improvements will give your competitors an edge. (1)
An SEO plan will ensure that you remain committed to your long-term plan. That way, you don’t lose track, and you’ll put effort into achieving your goals.
Improves your adaptability:
Ranking factors change from time to time, depending on what consumers look for. Therefore, what worked at the start, may not work now. So, you need to be adaptable. Having a strategy will help you prepare for sudden changes and implement them in your SEO, allowing you to remain where you want to be. (1)
Recommended for you: Progressive Web Apps (PWA) and Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
How to create SEO strategies?
As it’s evident that having an SEO strategy is essential in your business, you need to create one. However, developing the right strategy could be challenging for many. Fortunately, here are some of the tips you can use to develop a result-oriented SEO strategy:
1. Outsource SEO to an agency
There are cases where you don’t have the budget to employ an SEO expert on a full-time basis, or your team isn’t at full capacity to develop an SEO strategy. But this doesn’t mean that you have to miss out on SEO. Instead, you should consider outsourcing your SEO need to a reputable agency to help bring traffic and conversations to your business. (2)
A reputable SEO agency will have experts that’ll work on your SEO needs. This way, you won’t need to spend as much time learning the basics as your in-house team would take. Secondly, the agency will cost less but deliver exceptional results to help you rank. The agency will also handle a wide range of strategies, such as content strategies, white label SEO, design services, and affiliate SEO. Combining these strategies is a surefire way of getting results. (2)
2. Make your website mobile-friendly
In recent years, more people have been using mobile phones to access the internet. And this means one thing––you need to take your business there. When search engines rank websites, they keep the users in mind. If your website isn’t optimized for mobile phones, you’ll have negative SEO. Moreover, if people can’t access your website through their phones or have trouble doing so, they get frustrated and leave the site. Consequently, you’ll lose traffic. (3)
To make your website mobile-friendly and get the best out of your SEO strategies, try the following ideas:
- Use a responsive design: Your website should display on a mobile phone the way it would on a computer or a tablet. This means all the important details on your landing page, content page, or payment page should display appropriately. The font size should also be user-friendly, so people don’t struggle reading. (3)
- Keep size and space in mind: The links on your website should be spaced out correctly, so they don’t appear congested in one area. The buttons should also be well spaced and large enough for users to click them easily. (3)
- Avoid pop-ups: Nothing frustrates a mobile user as encountering pop-ups every time they try to access a website. This is because it’s hard to find the buttons to close them, and they’ll decide to leave your website. So, to avoid losing traffic due to frustrated visitors, avoid pop-ups. (3)
3. Focus on creating quality content
Content is still king, which is why search engines are interested in websites that develop quality and original content. Publishing quality content has always served a crucial part in ranking, and if you want to appear top of search results, you have to do so. (4)
Here are some of the tips to use to create quality content:
- Focus on readability: Before publishing your content, you need to check how easy it is to understand your content. The content should be straightforward and have a good sentence structure, so readers don’t get lost. Some tools can help you remove errors and check your grammar. Also, you can utilize the white spaces in your content to improve readability. (4)
- Accuracy: Publishing content without verifying if it’s relevant to your audience or if the information is accurate won’t help your ranking. So, you should first strive to understand what pieces of information your audiences need from you and then publish them. Also, remember to verify the information first to avoid being flagged for passing false information. (4)
You may like: SEO: Facts, Myths, and Benefits.
4. Use link building to improve domain authority
Link building is building your backlink profile by attracting inbound links from other sources on the internet. This strategy will help you build your domain authority as your website will be seen as authoritative in that particular niche. Hence, it’ll easily attract visitors and improve your ranking. (5)
“One good way to get the best out of your link-building strategy is by looking for backlinks from sites with more authority, such as journals and publications, government sites, or any site with high domain authority.” – in a recent interview as suggested by Chris Sisco, the CEO of Digital Sisco.
As a start, you can exchange your links with other local businesses for a link to their sites. You can also offer to write guest posts on other blog pages in exchange for linking your website to those blogs. (5)
5. Optimize your website for voice search
Until recently, most businesses didn’t take voice search as a significant player in SEO ranking. However, about 58% of consumers started using it to look for services and local business information. Moreover, most devices now use voice searches, such as vehicles, medical devices, and other home appliances, so their popularity will only increase. (4)
Thus, your SEO strategy should include tapping into this trend. By doing so, your business will get noticed easily. Here’s how you can do it:
- Write your titles and headings in a question format.
- Adjust your keywords to favor conversational tones and searches.
- Change long-tailed keywords into questions and publish content that answers the questions. (4)
If a group of visitors can find you by typing the relevant keywords on search engines, make it possible for those who want to use voice search to find you, too.
6. Target local SEO
One way that search engines provide results to search queries is through locations. If people look for restaurants or hotels, the search results will mostly be about the hotels around that area. That means that businesses should think about ranking at the local level. The good side is that there’s less competition at the local level; hence, you stand a better chance of ranking. (3)
To optimize your website for local SEO, always include your location in your keywords or even in your business name. However, not all keywords will work well if it has a location, as it’ll appear forced. So, use them where they seem natural. Other methods could be including geo-targeted content and claiming your business listing.
7. Track your success
Since good ranking takes some time, you need to regularly track your efforts to know that your strategy is working. Some areas will need improvement to achieve the desired results, while you may need to drop some strategies completely. (5)
There are different ways you can use to track your efforts and measure success. One way is to use web analytics tools to monitor organic traffic to your website. You can also track indexed pages, conversions, return on investment (ROI), and your ranking. If these metrics are good, you can know your overall process delivers the desired results. (5)
You may also like: Meta Tags Best Practices for SEO.
SEO is crucial for your business’ success. You need to have the right strategies to help you rank higher on search engines to get the traffic and increase the chances of conversion. However, it’s important to note that you won’t get the desired results after a day. If you combine the strategies discussed above and become consistent and agile, you’ll appear more on search queries.